• Holidays

Gift shopping? Read this first!

By The Marsh Household

Are you still thinking of gifting someone you love an item instead of an experience? Do you want item ideas that are environmentally mindful? If you answered yes, watch this:

Here’s a breakdown with some more eco-friendly ideas:

One unique or more expensive gift instead of multiple items

  • Everlasting candle
  • E-bike
  • Lomi
  • Recycled Glassware
  • Reusable Notebook
  • Reusable Beeswax Food Wraps
  • Indoor Garden Kit
  • Smart water bottle
  • Freezable grocery bag
  • Repurposed Sari Patchwork Apron
  • Recycled Wine Bottle Platter 

Consider something handmade or home-made

  • Blanket
  • Knitted clothing item
  • Chai or Hot chocolate mix kit
  • Jar with 60 reasons why I love you notes
  • Baked goods

Consider something you can pass on

  • A book you’ve completed reading
  • A clothing item that no longer fits or you do not use as often
  • Mugs or glassware
  • An item from a secondhand shop
  • Vases
  • Artwork and frames
  • Storage baskets
  • Unique lamps
  • Bottle of wine

Did you know that within 6 months, only 1% of everything the average person buys is still in use, and the other 99% has been discarded?

If you are gifting item(s), please use reusable bags! Reusable gift bags are environmentally friendly, offering benefits such as reduced single-use waste, resource conservation, energy savings, and a lower carbon footprint. Their durability and longevity mean fewer replacements and less material consumption. By choosing reusable bags, households contribute to waste reduction and pollution prevention, promote sustainable practices, and foster a culture of environmental responsibility.

Did you know that Canadians generate over 540,000 tonnes of waste from gift wrapping, shopping bags, and tape? This is the equivalent of 100,000 elephants or almost 5 CN towers – MASSIVE! Think of elephants, gift better.

Written by The Marsh Household

Read more of their stories as they vie with the other seven households to reduce their carbon footprint.

Meet the The Marsh Household
Back to top