Considered a picture-perfect ghost town, Balaclava’s focal point is its abandoned sawmill, which was founded in 1855 on Constant Creek. The town boomed in the early 1900s, incorporating a sawdust burner, blacksmiths, store, hotel and permanent residents.
During its century-long operation, the mill was almost completely rebuilt in 1936 after a fire ravaged the building. When it was sold in 1957, it was producing only a fraction of the board feet per year than it was at its founding, thanks to the depletion of timber in the region. In 1959, it was deemed uneconomical to run the mill any longer and it was shut down, along with the store, and Balaclava slid into the slumber of disuse.