Here at Canadian Geographic, we are unrepentant in our obsession with maps. We also have a soft spot for quotes. So for today's #MapMonday, we thought we'd join our two loves! Think we missed a worthy addition? Add it in the comments!
1. “Maps encourage boldness. They’re like cryptic love letters. They make anything seem possible.”
― Mark Jenkins
2. "Geographers never get lost. They just do accidental field work."
― Nicholas Chrisman
3. “I’ve always been fascinated by maps and cartography. A map tells you where you’ve been, where you are, and where you’re going — in a sense it’s three tenses in one.”
― Peter Greenaway
4. "Geography is just physics slowed down, with a couple of trees stuck in it."
— Terry Pratchett
5. “Maps are like campfires — everyone gathers around them, because they allow people to understand complex issues at a glance, and find agreement about how to help the land.”
― Sonoma Ecology Center, GIS/IS Program Web Site
6. "Our earth is a globe
whose surface we probe
no map can replace her
but just try to trace her"
― Steve Waterman
7. "Without geography, you're nowhere!"
― Jimmy Buffett
8. “There's no blank spots on the map anymore, anywhere on earth. If you want a blank spot on the map, you gotta leave the map behind.”
― Jon Krakauer
9. “A map is the greatest of all epic poems. Its lines and colors show the realization of great dreams.”
― Gilbert H. Grosvenor